These are the Key skills that each child will be working towards in Reception Class.
By the end of Foundation all children should be able to confidently:
- Count forwards to 100 in unison with other children.
- Count backwards from at least 20.
- Know the next number for any number up to 12, e.g. eight, ____.
- Match one-to-one in counting e.g. one counter, two counters …
- Subitise numbers up to and including 6: do children recognise arrays, e.g. 6 dots on a dice, without counting?
- Match numbers to fingers, e.g. hold up 7 fingers (without counting each finger).
- Begin to compare numbers, e.g. knowing that 6 is bigger than 4.
- Know the story of 6 (3 + 3, 2 + 4, 1 + 5, 6 + 0), and the stories of 5 and of 4 and of 3...
- Recognise some 2-digit numbers related to their own experiences. E.g. Daddy is 34, I live at number 56, etc.
- Recognise the difference between ‘flat’ and ‘solid’ shapes and describe shapes by mentioning a property, e.g. this one rolls, this one has corners...
- Spot and continue patterns
- Compare the size of things using mathematical language, e.g. Tom is taller than me.